What is Pomegranate?
Pomegranate is a fruit cultivated since ancient times.
Benefits of Pomegranate for Skin
- Heavy in Antioxidants: "Not only does it contain about 48% of the daily vitamin C, but also contains other antioxidants such as anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and tannins.
Cell Regeneration: Pomegranates help protect the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin) and helps with skin cell regeneration in the epidermis and dermis (inner layer), increasing circulation and healing the skin, aiding in tissue repair and wound healing
- Sun Protection: They have sun protective compounds that protect the skin against free radical damage, help prevent skin cancer, relieve sunburn and reduce the signs of sun damage. Pomegranate seed oil works to protect against skin cancer because of ellagic acid.
- Anti-Aging: Pomegranates protect against premature aging by helping reduce the signs of skin aging caused by sun damage and exposure, such as wrinkles and fine lines. Pomegranates also help prevent hyperpigmentation and age spots.
- Youthful Skin: Pomegranates promote smooth, firm skin by promoting collagen and elastin production and soften skin.
- Dry Skin: It is a great ingredient for skincare because its small molecular structure allows it to penetrates deeply into the skin. It works for most skin types, (which depends on the skin care ingredients pomegranate is combined with). Since pomegranate oil penetrates deeply into the skin, it is effective for treating dry skin. It soothes dry, cracked, and irritated skin. It contains punicic acid, an omega 5 fatty acid that hydrates and prevents moisture loss.
- Oily Skin/Combination Skin: Pomegranate oil even works for oily skin and the use of pomegranates have been beneficial in skin care products for acne prone skin, to combat breakouts, reduce scarring, and sooth minor irritations.
Check out our Dr Botanicals Superfood Pomegranate sleeping mask.